Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Just what does 'sick' look like???

So often someone I know will ask me about how I'm feeling,
or how some of my treatments are working out for me,
and other people who overhear, will look at me...and say....
"You, what could possibly be wrong with you?"


When I tell them just some of my six or seven diagnoses
 (I lose count, or at least try to!!)
They reply with a,
"But, you always look so healthy and happy!"



YES, I try and smile through the pain
for my children's' sake and for my own sake.
Since there is no magical cure for the things I have....
there is no need to dwell on them, and cry about them 24/7.


 Now, don't get me wrong...
There are many days that I cry.
(I always try to cry in the shower!)
Why? It's my comfort zone..and my kids can't see me when I'm in the shower!!


I just wanted to post this today to remind others
what we already know...
LOOKS CAN BE DECEIVING!!
Just because someone is smiling on the outside...
Doesn't mean they aren't dying, crying, hurting, etc...on the inside!!


What it all boils down to...
is
COMPASSION,
NON-JUDGEMENT,
and
basically, that whole
NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING,
cuz I'm sure we all remember what
ASS-U-ME
stands for, right?


Ok, enough of my babbling/preaching, etc.

I hope all of you are feeling as well as you can be
under the circumstances!
I'm thinking of you all, YES ALL,
even those of you I don't know yet!!
Others in pain, are always in my thoughts :)


Luv and health to you.

For those of you who read this on my
'chronic pain' blog...
I apologize for the repeat!!
However, I thought this post should be posted for all to see.
After all, it's not those who deal with chronic pain day in and day out
that need to read this...

If you liked this post, and want to see others like it...
My other blog can be found here.

~Steph

16 comments:

  1. You look great! Keep being strong and an inspiration! I am a little late but I am following you back from Making Friends MOnday. Thanks for joining us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry you are going through all that pain. Though your picture certainly doesn't show it. You sound like a strong woman who enjoys life one day at a time. Yes, that's the title to a cheesy 80s sitcom – sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @jcohen7523...I used to luv that show ;)

    ~Steph

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Steph I am Odie from The Simple Life and cannot figure out how to follow you. I tried signing in with google and when I hit enter it says it can't find the page. Your site doesn't have a simple follow word at the upper left life a lot of blogs do. Help.
    odie_langley@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Steph...I have been trying to find you all day. You left a comment on my blog but the name you gave me was misspelled. This post is great and so very true isn't it. I'm in the middle of a disability case and want so bad to ask them what I'm "supposed to look like". Anyway, glad I found you via a comment you left on Hed's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a really strong person...and well, it's better to cry in the shower that crying where everyone else can see....I hope you will get better soon...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm following you back! I like your blog. Very cute!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for visiting mom to 2 posh lil divas today.

    following you back.

    may you always have the strength and love that is apparent in this post.

    good luck to you.

    Bernadette

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the reminder! A very strong person smiles through the pain.

    Stopping by from No Ordinary Blog Hop.
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for linking up to No Ordinary Blog Hop and A Day In Our Life Blog Hop. This post has a great message that we all need to remember. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your link on No Ordinary Blog Hop to this post is just fine. If you don't mind I would like to keep it on the blog hop list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Steph!
    I'm visiting you via the No Ordinary Blog Hop I'm co-hosting! Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting and thanks for following my blog too!
    I'm following you back and I look forward to reading your posts. I'm sorry you live in so much pain all the time. I can't imagine how you feel. Crying in the shower is a good place to let your emotions out. I also cry lots at night in the security of my hubby's arms. This brings me much comfort too. Your post here reminds me of a quote I love that I have on my Facebook page:
    "Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle." Author Unknown
    Have you heard this quote before?

    Also,not too long ago a friend of mine posted this video "Paradigm Shift" on her Facebook page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlRK1vqcuvg

    It's a great video and I think I'm going to put it on my blog soon and link back to your blog post here if you don't mind :)
    Have a blessed day!
    Tracy at "A Slice of Smith Life"

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Steph!
    I just finished my blog post and referred back to your post here :) Here is the link if you want to check it out: http://asliceofsmithlife.blogspot.com/2011/01/day-in-my-lifeon-saturday.html

    Hope you are had a blessed day!
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for this post. It's a good reminder that much is going on inside people and in their lives that others don't realize. I'm glad you can speak for the many who suffer in silence . . . I'm visiting from No Ordinary Bog Hop. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post it is a reminder we all need that just because someone is smiling doesn't mean they are not in pain, whether physical or emotional:). I hope you find some relief

    ReplyDelete
  16. I used to get that same comment. Now in a wheelchair, I miss them saying that? Weird, I know! You do look good! I hope you have some relief with the pain...
    kim

    ReplyDelete